Thursday, June 07, 2007

Ashton's English Program


Ashton's elementary school had an English Program. The entire thing was, to say the least, interesting. Ashton was in a production of Snow White, she is the green dwarf. I cut the program down to include the essential story line plus good shots of Ashton. It was hard to get a good shot of her because of where I was standing.
The reason I say the program is interesting is because of the dark side of it. Even this production of Snow White actually ended with the queen vowing to kill Snow White. Another play was about a boy whose brother died before he could come clean with his lie about him. There was a "war poem" where they showed slides of war ridden countries (Palestine, Iraq, Somalia, Afghanistan), including children in poverty and dead people in the streets. Ashton was just in the Snow White play, a dentist (I will post video) and a song her class sang about not eating too much because we don't want to be "fat" we want to be "thin". As disturbing as this was to watch and may be for you to read, it is actually very Turkish. Even their comedy's have drama, there are not happy endings.

No comments:



Istanbul